Vintage Knitting Needles and Antique Bottles

Vintage Knitting Needles and Antique Bottles

Monday, April 7, 2014

Project Bags, KnittinginBeantown Etsy shop

Louisburg Square, small
Louisburg Square, medium
Louisburg Square Arc
I have been sewing project bags and selling them in my Etsy shop. I started with some of the novelty fabrics that are so popular in the Etsy market, but friends at the Virginia Beach Retreat advised me to consider using more of a carpet-bag style fabric and shape. I have been lurking in my local fabric stores, searching for patterns and colors that appeal to me. I have had success with decorator fabrics.

When I say decorator fabrics, I mean to include things you might use for drapery or light to heavy upholstery. The body or drape of the material is stiffer so it doesn't require the addition of interfacing and the sheen is more lustrous than the typical quilter's cotton fabric. Above are three size bags in the same fabric. The bags are great for organizing your knitting or they can be used for cosmetics or keeping other small items together in a bigger tote bag. I have had such fun pairing fabrics with linings and zipper pulls.  Do you have a craft that makes you happy?

Louisburg Square, small
Louisburg Square, large
Louisburg Square Arc
These bags are all in the same sizes as the Red Dot fabric above. The largest, the Louisburg Square Arc easily holds three skeins of Cascade Sock yarn with room for your knitting and a few notions. The fabric has a shine to it and it has enough body to stand open easily.

Louisburg Square, small
Louisburg Square Arc
This criss cross fabric has less stiffness and more drape that the other fabrics shown. You can see the golden lining which makes for a nice contrast with the exterior fabric. The yarn shown for scale are two skeins of Cascade Heritage sock yarn and a cake of Cascade Silk.

The photos above show the results of my searching for fabrics that might appeal to men who knit. I do know a number of men in my guild who knit and I often wonder if the fabrics would be an option they would consider? I think the fabrics have a certain urban appeal, many of the bags could easily serve a dual purpose as a clutch.
Louisburg Square, small
Rowes Wharf, small available in two color ways
Rowes Wharf, large
Well, I did succumb to whimsy; this fabric made me think of JuniperGrace. She had a phone accessory that featured Hello Kitty when I met her in Maine and Hello Kitty on Hot Wheels seems so cool. The lining fabric is printed with balls of yarn, perfect together, right? The tallest bag is able to hold four skeins of Brown Sheep Bulky, so a sweater project or a large shawl would easily fit in this bag.

Periodically I will share new bags and fabrics with as I update the shop. If you see a bag you like but you want it in a different fabric, I can do custom orders (if I have the fabric available). You can PM me at Ravelry where my username is 19VesperStreet, or message me directly on the Etsy shop. Thanks for looking, give me feedback if you'd like.
Post a Comment